TT BIKES

TT BIKES
HOW WE ROLL

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Racing in AL

This is the second year that I've headed HOME.. to AL to visit family and to take advantage of some good local racing.

The Spring City Cycling Club host a two day omnium, a RR, a SHORT 1K TT and a CRIT. I mainly come down here to visit family, but what cyclist doesn't love having the chance to visit family and race their bikes.

The first year I did this race.. the weather was perfect, in fact AL had an Indian Summer sort of day... this year.. NOT so much.. HOT and HUMID was the call all weekend long... Since I had done the RR last year.. I knew the HILL would be my nemisis.. I am not a hill climber.. if it were the Tour.. I'd be on the "auto bus"... well I dorked up the first climb up the hill.... too far back... gap opened up.... was NOT on a wheel as we crested the top... OTB.. and race over... The 1 K TT was later than afternoon, so I gave myself and the officials a break and pulled myself after 30 miles..

The 1K TT was really interesting.. guys coming up with full TT rigs... and others.. just zipping up jersey's and rolling like a RR race... I finished 3rd in the women's 3/4 field.. so not to ashamed of my finish...

Sunday's crit was right after the men's master's thank goodness it was an early race... before the heat and humidity really started cranking... I did just what my coaches have been telling me all year.. when I don't have a teammate in the race.. sit in... and get in position with 3 to go...
I made one attack.. just to see how the legs felt... everything was firing... YEAH... I was sitting about 6th wheel with 2 to go, knowing I could move up on the backside... the pace had slowed just a little as we entered the only Left turn.. and wouldn't you know it... gal in front of my touches the rear wheel of the gal in front of her... she goes down taking me with her.. I tried to swing wide.. but that wasn't happening.. it was slow motion.. and I have a metal picture of my crash.... sore elbow, knee and back.. but bike is ok...so I lived to race another day

No comments:

Post a Comment